It was still foggy in Sonoma on July 12th when the big PODS truck picked up our storage container. We stood in our empty living room with our landlord and watched as the truck hoisted up our possessions and hauled them off to a distant warehouse. That was nine months ago today. Nine months! Long enough to have forgotten most of what we put into that POD. Barring any major change of events, we’ll be back to the Bay Area in late June to unpack the contents of our old life and settle down again.
General Trip Statistics
- 16,000 – miles driven
- 37 – states (CA, OR, ID, MT, WA, NV, AZ, UT, CO, NM, NE, KS, MO, KY, TN, IN, IL, AR, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, NC, VA, MD, DE, NJ, PA, CT, NY, MA, NH, ME, VT, OH, MI)
- 1 – state intentionally avoided (TX, for moral and political reasons)
- 2 – countries besides the US (Canada, Costa Rica)
- 9 – number of nights camped in Wal Mart parking lots (Not the prettiest spot, but free and legal.)
- 2 – number of times we been caught (and soaked) in unexpected thunderstorms while hiking
- 1/ea – pairs of hiking shoes we’ve worn out and had to replace
- 3 – average number of times we drive around a campground before choosing a spot
- 1 – time we got pulled over on suspicion of drug trafficking (I44 in Missouri is apparently a big drug route; an RV with CA plates looked curious in December!)
- 1 – celebrity who spilled a drink on Patrick’s shoe (Woody Harrelson, at the Spotted Cat in New Orleans. He was hanging out with Tim Robbins and Jesse Eisenberg. We played it cool.)
People Always Ask Us If We’re Visiting…
- Mt. Rushmore (maybe?)
- Giant Ball of Twine (missed it)
- Niagara Falls (yes)
Top Picks to Date
- Best State Overall for Sights/Hiking – Utah
- Best Burger – Diablo Burger, Flagstaff, AZ
- Best Game to Play in the Minnie – Mexican Train Dominos
- Best Road Trip Book – Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck
- Best State Park Amenities – Lake Fausse Pointe, Louisiana (electric, water, WiFi, canoe rentals, showers, laundry, camp store, PLUS nesting Red Shoulder Hawks, armadillos and alligators.)
- Best Brewery – Schlafly(besides the Russian River, of course)
- Best Sunrise – Montezuma, CR
- Most Adorable Bacon – Polyface Farm
So thats how your paying for this trip, trafficking drugs. Typically People drive to Mexico to get there stuff, but Canda and Costa Rica look a lot less suspicious. Smart.
Ssshhhh…don’t ruin our secrets.
1 – number of times you saw (but did not participate in for moral/political reasons) a line dance
2 – number of buckets of beer you enjoyed at the discount rate of $10/bucket
Love the purposeful omission of TX! And I can just *picture* Patrick acting like the spilled
drink was no big deal and then turning to you with his eyes all big, mentally telling you “Eeeek! Woody just spilled on my SHOE!”, but in a laid back “who cares” kind of way as you guys awkwardly try to resume some semblance of a normal conversation…
Love the additions! How could I have forgotten the line dancing?
9 months! Wow! You’ve done a lot. I’ve seen you twice which is two more times than I expected! I’m still jealous and still excited for you. I can tell you what is in your POD… Shoes! 🙂
Oh yes, shoes. And a Kitchen Aid mixer. Pretty sure that’s it, though.